If you have booked a stay in a Hotel Windsor way and are wondering about the area, here are some interesting facts about Windsor for you to have a look through.
- The old village of Windsor cna be found just 3 miles away from what is now known as modern-day Windsowr and it was where Edward the Confessor’s Palace was situated back in the 10th Century. In order to be able to distinguish between the two areas they were named Old Windsor and New Windsor.
- The train station in Windsor was originally the end of the District line of the Underground. It was in full working order from 1883 and 1885 and you could get right into the centre of London from Windsor station.
- Britain’s shortest street can be found in Windsor. Queen Charlotte Street is only 15.8 metres long or just 51 feet and 10 inches.
- Over 40 monarchs have used Windsor Castle as their home since it was built in the 10th Century and its grounds are vast and equivalent to over 269 tennis courts put together.
- Many celebrities have also lived in the Windsor area and include Billy Connolly, Michael Caine and Ranulph Fiennes.
- Windsor is the only place in England where you can find Blue Post boxes. These post boxes were originally used for airmail but were phased out.