Trees are incredible plants that give some much to us and our planet including oxygen and they also help to prevent erosion and flooding in some areas of the country. There are many different types of tree and you only have to look at all the different types of wood available from Southampton Timber Merchants like http://www.timbco.co.uk/ to realise what a vast world there is of trees.
Beech trees are one type of tree that is grown for its wood and there are many furniture items that are made from this beautiful wood. Here are some interesting facts about the world of beech trees.
- They have a lifespan of between 150 and 400 years and a mature tree can reach heights of up to 50 metres of 164 feet. This depends on the species of beech tree.
- Most beech trees have a light grey coloured bark that is smooth to touch.
- These trees are incredibly sturdy and it takes a lot to bring them down.
- They have short trunks and very wide canopy. The leaves are a beautiful green colour with tiny hairs on the outside. As the leaves age they darken in colour and lose their hairs. The leaves are around 15 centimetres long and 10 centimetres wide.
- Beech trees produce both male and female flowers on the same tree. The male flowers are called catkins and they are blown away in the wind. The flowers appear in the Spring following the luscious new green leaves.